Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas is the smell of Gingerbread baking



There is truly nothing like the smell of gingerbread dough baking in the oven on a cold December day. I love making these traditional Christmas cookies.
The recipe I have used for years is from my favorite baker Rose Levy Beranbaum.

naked gingerbread

Recipe

3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsps ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
3/4 cup dark or light brown sugar*
12 Tbsps butter, softened
1/2 cup grandma's molasses
1 lg egg

Add dry ingredients together and toss. Place butter in mixer and beat add brown sugar and cream. Then add molasses and egg. Next add dry ingredients and mix until well beaten.

Refrigerate dough until very chilled at least an hour. Then roll out on floured surface about 1/8 inch thick and cut out with your favorite gingerbread shape. 

Bake at 350 degrees F. When cool decorate with royal icing and your favorite decors.

Notes:
For Royal icing I use the recipe on the can of Wilton meringue powder. It is the best!

*I have used both dark and light. If I have dark I use it, it produces a richer flavor and darker color. If I am out light works just fine.



Wishing you all the Merriest Christmas. Hugs to you and yours! See you in the New Year for more good eating. 


No comments:

Post a Comment