Monday, January 30, 2012

Buttermilk Berry Scones



I love to bake. Excuse me if I mentioned that already. My family loves to eat. So it is a perfect match.

With a teen and a tween in the house I feel like I am tethered to the kitchen. Therefore always looking for new recipes to tame their appetites. The other day I found a recipe by Tyler Florence for berry scones and thought I would give them a try.

When I read the recipe I noticed they were actually a drop scone. Like a drop biscuit with berries. The scones I normally make are a little more involved you have to cut them or use a cookie cutter. These were quick and easy. Just drop on a cookie sheet and into the oven they go.



 




The tricky part about adding berries to a dough vs batter is that you have to be very careful or the berries will be crushed and you will end up with a big mess.












So my advice is to fold the berries in very gingerly, especially the raspberries.

In our house I make muffins and scones for after school snacks as well as for the morning.
They are always appreciated. Actually fights have been known to break out if someone takes the last one.

They may not be the most attractive of the scones I make but they have some great attributes. The crunch on the exterior is lovely. The interior is soft and when you get a bite of berry especially while still warm it is pure heaven.


I love dough




Berry Buttermilk Scones

2 cups all purpose flour
3 Tbsps sugar, plus more for sprinkling before baking
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp kosher salt
3/4 stick cold unsalted butter, cubed
1 1/2 cups fresh berries, blueberry and raspberry or blackberry
3/4 cups buttermilk, plus extra to brush on before baking
powdered sugar-for dusting


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a food processor combine the dry ingredients, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Pulse. Then add the cold butter and pulse until you have the texture of coarse crumbs. Tranfer to a large mixing bowl, then add buttermilk and stir to combine.

As it comes together add the berries very delicately trying not to break them.

Remember with scones you don't want to mix a lot just enough to hold the dough together.

Drop by spoonfuls on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Brush tops of scones with buttermilk and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake until golden brown, and nice and puffy, about 17-20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack. We always like to shake some powdered sugar on before we eat them.

















No comments:

Post a Comment