Sunday, July 24, 2011

I Am Not Going To Use The F-Word



You know the F word? Foodie.

Ok I have used this word over the years to describe my cohorts and fellow food loving friends however, I feel we have outgrown this word. It no longer fits. We still use it I guess because we have no substitute and when you need a word to describe someone of this nature it just IS the right word.

The definition of foodie according to the urban dictionary is as follows:

March 28, 2006 Urban Word of the Day 

A person that spends a keen amount of attention and energy on knowing the ingredients of food, the proper preparation of food, and finds great enjoyment in top-notch ingredients and exemplary preparation.

A foodie is not necessarily a food snob, only enjoying delicacies and/or food items difficult to obtain and/or expensive foods; though, that is a variety of foodie. 


Yes, I agree that definition is spot on. Over the years there have been many words for people who are in the know about food. Words such as gourmet, gourmand, epicurean to name a few. Those words conjure up a little hauty tauty-ness to me. I picture the woman all dressed in pearls preparing a French dish from one of Julia Child’s books on French cooking. I guess foodie was a way to create a less snobbish word for the food lovers of the world.

I believe a new word is in order although I haven’t got a replacement at the moment but am working on it. Maybe in one of my posts it will show itself.

If any of you have a new word that you think fits let's hear it. Until then cook on!


No comments:

Post a Comment