Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Light Creamy Cheesecake With A Touch Of Lemon

                   



My posting has been a bit sporatic as of late and I do apologize. Trying to juggle everything is sometimes a bit challenging. I admit I am not one of these women who can do it all and do it well. But one thing I can do very well is make this cheesecake.

Today I was deciding what to make and I was really in the mood to make some homemade bagels. After reading my recipe and noting the 500 degree oven I needed, I decided to forgo this one due to the fact that the temp outside was 90 degrees with high humidity. So instead I chose something light and sweet. My favorite cheesecake.

There are a few things that I make that create a frenzy in the kitchen. One is my quacamole and the other is this cheesecake. This is my daughter’s favorite and she often begs me to make it. The problem when I make it is that everyone wants to jump the gun and eat it before it is set. I practically have to put a lock on the frig to prevent this from happening.

It is the best cheesecake I have had and I have been making it for at least 15 years. Now as with all foods, people have their favorites. When it comes to cheesecake I am sure people have strong opinions. I like a dense cheesecake on occasion but I cannot tolerate a cheesecake made of ricotta. To me cheesecake is all about the mouth feel. Smooth and creamy not cottage cheesy if you know what I mean.

If you like a light cheesecake with a hint of lemon here is your recipe. It comes from Molly Katzen’s book Moosewood. I have changed the recipe over the years to the point of it really being my recipe but I always give credit where credit is due. The first time I made it I loved it and have never looked at another cheesecake recipe since. I will give you my version of her recipe. I always serve it with fresh fruit. You could try a berry medley or peaches with blueberries, whatever you have on hand or is in season works best. I happened to have some beautiful raspberries from the market that worked very nicely.


My Favorite Cheesecake 
Adapted from Molly Katzen’s Moosewood cookbook

Crust

1 3/4 cups graham crackers crushed in a food processor
2 Tbsps sugar
3 Tbsps melted butter, cooled

Combine and press firmly in a 9" springform pan. I use the bottom of a metal measuring cup to really pat it firmly.
Bake at 325 degrees F for 10 minutes.

Filling

2- 8 oz packages cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
4 eggs, room temperature is best
1 1/2 tsps pure vanilla extract
3 Tbsps fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp lemon zest

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Beat cream cheese and sugar until very well mixed. Not on high this will add too much air. Next add the eggs one at a time until mixed but do not overmix. Add vanilla and lemon juice and zest.

Pour onto crust and bake for 25-30 minutes. Do not overbake. Check at 25 minutes and the center will be slightly moister than the edges but firm. Let cool to room temperature on a rack. When room temperature add the layer of topping. Recipe below.

Topping

1 1/2 cups sour cream
3 Tbsps sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Reheat oven to 375 degrees F. Blend topping ingredients and pour onto cheesecake. Spread evenly with a bent spatula. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove and cool to room temperature before refrigerating.

Chill for at least 12 hours before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment