Friday, May 13, 2011

Quick Easy Stir Fry


What I love about stir fry. I love my wok first of all. It is a calphalon all stainless steel heavy duty wok. It cooks and cleans like a dream. Stir fry is quick and healthy and a good way to use your creativity in the kitchen. Here is my basic recipe. Feel free to do your own version.

Chicken Stir Fry

2-3 Tbsps canola oil
2 tsps toasted sesame seed oil
2 Tbps teriyaki sauce
2 Tbsps soy sauce
2 Tbsps stir fry sauce-trader joe's has a nice one
1 Tbsp cornstarch
garlic
ginger, fresh
onion
carrots
celery
chicken*, boneless, skinless breasts
baby bok choy
bell peppers, any color



Here goes. Get your wok hot on the burner. Add a few tablespoons canola or vegetable oil and a tsp or so of toasted sesame seed oil. First saute your onions then add garlic and ginger root. I mince the garlic and ginger and I leave the onions in med to large chunks.

You have to move quickly you do not want to burn the garlic. Next add the vegetables which have all been chopped roughly the same size. Hold back on the baby bok choy because this cooks very quickly and you don't want it to get soggy. The point of stir fry is to cook things on high heat very quickly. You need to move the food around a lot so it does not burn. When the veges are crisp tender I transfer them to a plate spread out so they do not steam. Next I add a little more oil if needed and cook my chicken which has been cut into bite sized chunks. Cook until golden brown in color. Next I take the chicken broth. The quantity depends on how much other ingredients you have. I would say 1-2 cups. Add the chicken broth to the wok with the chicken and stir. Be sure to scrape all the delicious bits of flavor that have adhered to the side of the wok. Next add the sauces which I have in a measuring cup near the wok. I combine the sauces with the cornstarch so I have one thing to add. Stir quickly and the cornstarch should start to thicken the sauce when this happens add the vegetables back in and give a quick stir.

*Is organic chicken necessary? We'll I believe there is a very big difference. If you have organic by you by all means get it. The flavor is better.

1 comment:

  1. I cook this recipe very easy. Thanks for sharing it here and I will cook this every time I need to serve it to my friend with my recipe for stir fry sauce. Thanks for sharing it here.

    ReplyDelete